Monday, October 3, 2011

When and How to Deconstruct


     In chapter two of Salingaros' "Anti-Architecture and Deconstruction", he states the following, "From the monumentality of the buildings of ancient civilization, to the decorative details present in all vernacular architectures, the human spirit expresses itself creatively in the constructed realm. The man-made world represents our spirit, our mind and our hear - theses are reflected in our buildings". Salingaros goes on to contrast this by stating, "Deconstructionist architecture presents us with the vision of a world destroyed, of a universe reduced to fragments." Harsh words one might expect from the title of his book.

    This hits at home in what my design philosophy is - one of synthesis and interrelations, rather than reduced fractals. While for the most part I would agree with Salingaros, I believe there are times deconstruction can work. To prove how it may work, and how it mostly doesn't work, I've included two examples of Frank Gehry's work.                                                                               
The experience music project in Seatle (Wikipedia)
      In my eyes, the experience music project looks like a transformer relieved itself in Seattle. It is in no way  in relation to the whole. It makes me somewhat nervous.

Dancing House in Progue (Wikipedia)



      For some reason, however, the Dancing house does it for me. It reminds me of Gaudi's work in a way. Because of the adjacent traditional architecture, the abstraction isn't alone. It is composed within its surroundings and provides a nice contrast to the normal. This building resembles a building, and yet it is unlike any other building that I have ever seen. Does anyone else like this, or did I just read too much Dr. Zeus growing up?

No comments:

Post a Comment